Preparing for a long-distance move is a daunting task, but with the proper preparation, your move will go off without a hitch.
For a seamless transition into your new space, thoughtful planning is critical. Long-distance moves require a bit more preparation than a simple move around the block, but we’re here to help it go as smoothly as possible.
Use these three tips to guarantee that your upcoming relocation will be as stress-free as possible.
1. Purge Before You Pack
The decluttering process is essential before packing for any move, but it’s imperative if you’re moving far away. Every pound you pack will end up costing you more money, space, and time. Here are a few more tips for decluttering before moving day:
- Give yourself plenty of time to decide what to pack and what to get rid of
- If you have a stockpile of household goods and food, start using up the excess now so you’ll have less to bring with you
- Use three boxes for every room you tackle- one box for items you want to keep, one for stuff to throw away, and one for things you plan to donate or sell
- Check expiration dates on bathroom and pantry goods
- Sell or donate what you don’t want
2. Pack an Overnight Bag
Long-distance moves usually involve an overnight stay along the way. When packing, set aside any essential items you’ll need for your travels. This includes a change of clothes, pajamas, shower essentials, a toothbrush, and any necessary medications. In addition, you’ll also want to pack a box of essentials that you’ll need on move-in day. This will help things feel less chaotic than they are. Here are some handy items to keep accessible:
- Clean bedding and pillows
- Cleaning supplies and hand soap
- Paper and pens
- Phone and laptop chargers
- Water bottles
- Shower curtain
- Toilet paper and paper towels
3. Think About Food
The long days of packing and moving leave little time to think about meals, especially if you’re moving far away. Planning your meals in advance is the best way to stay nourished during this busy time. Here are a few tips for creating a meal plan during this hectic time:
- Take a complete inventory of the items in your fridge, freezer, and pantry
- Use this inventory to plan your menu; be creative with what you have!
- Set a pre-moving grocery budget for any necessary odds and ends
- Prepare snacks and small meals that travel well for the moving venture ahead
- Prepare some freezer meals to take with you as well
- Keep disposable plates and silverware handy
- Pack plenty of water to stay hydrated
Hire Best of the West Movers for Your Long-Distance Move
For a long-distance move that’s guaranteed to be a breeze, Best of the West Movers is here for you! Our moving experts can do anything from helping you pack to hauling all of your belongings to your new home. We offer labor-only moves, full-service moving, and even long-distance moves. Plus, we do it all at an affordable rate that you’ll love!
We serve cities in Davis and Salt Lake County, Utah, including Bountiful, Kaysville, Farmington, South Jordan, Midvale, Sandy, Draper, and more! Get in touch with us to learn more and get your free estimate today!