Packing before your move might seem overwhelming at first, but with the right approach, it doesn’t have to be a grueling ordeal.
Packing your home is no easy task, so we’re to help by sharing a step-by-step timeline of all the tasks involved. Continue reading to help your next move run as smoothly as possible.
6-8 Weeks: Decide What Is Coming with You
As soon as your move is confirmed, you should start packing. The first step is to sort through your items and purge anything you no longer need or want. Throw anything that’s on its last leg, have a garage sale for gently-used items, and donate anything else. Once the clutter is out of the way, you’ll have a better idea of the moving services you need to hire.
4-6 Weeks: Hire a Moving Company and Gather Supplies
If you haven’t already reached out to a moving company, now is the time to lock in the services you need. You should also establish a moving date at this point. Finally, it’s time to gather packing supplies so that you’ll be ready to box everything up in the coming weeks. Here are a few items that will come in handy:
- Packing tape
- Cardboard boxes in various sizes
- Scissors or a box cutter
- Padding materials for fragile items (bubble wrap, old towels, newspaper, etc.)
- Plastic wrap
- Markers, labels, or stickers for labeling boxes
- Furniture pads or moving blankets
1 Month: Start Packing
Once the big day is about a month away, it’s time to start packing up your belongings. Start with non-essential items, including picture frames, holiday decorations, collections, and anything in your storage closet. If you need a place to store your possessions in the meantime, storage units can be very helpful.
When packing before your move, don’t forget to adopt a detailed labeling system. You’ll thank yourself later when it comes time to find a new home for all of your belongings. Here are a few organizational ideas:
- Color-code boxes by room using different colors of packing tape, sticker labels, or markers
- Number your boxes and keep an inventory of which numbers are supposed to end up in each room
- Label all sides of your boxes instead of just the top
1 Week: Tie up Loose Ends
Once your move is a week away, it’s crunch time. Most of your possessions should be packed up at this point, so start tying up any loose ends that you might have forgotten. These tasks might include:
- Organizing valuable documents
- Deep cleaning the house
- Taking care of trash removal
- Using up refrigerated food and pantry items
- Disposing of hazardous items
- Confirming the date and time with your moving company of choice
- Notifying service providers of the move
- Forwarding mail
- Transferring utilities
- Updating your billing address to your bank and credit card companies
Choose Best of the West Movers for a Seamless Move
When packing before your move, hire Best of the West Movers for the finest moving and packing experience possible. Our moving experts can do anything from helping you pack to hauling all of your belongings to your new home. We offer labor-only moves, full-service moving, and even long-distance moves. Plus, we do it all at a price you’ll love!
We serve cities in Davis and Salt Lake County, Utah, including Layton, Bountiful, Kaysville, South Jordan, Murray, Sandy, and more! Reach out to learn more today!