Making a move from Southern Utah to Northern Utah is an exciting adventure, but there are a few things you should consider to make your adjustment as smooth as possible.
Keep reading to discover our best tips for a long-haul move and how you can make the most out of your new living situation.
Taking a quick trip up north can be a breeze, but moving from Southern Utah to Northern Utah is a bigger animal. This type of move is often referred to as “long-haul” and can be quite a bit different from a standard move across town. Here are some tips to consider before you embark on your journey:
- Create a plan – To alleviate the stress of moving, create a detailed game plan beforehand. This will ensure that nothing gets left behind or forgotten.
- Stick to the plan – Once you’ve outlined a plan, make sure you stick to it. There are many aspects of long-haul moves that are time-sensitive, such as utilities and school enrollment.
- Moving insurance – We recommend looking into moving insurance for long-distance scenarios.
Cold Weather and Snow
The state of Utah is well known for having some of “the greatest snow on earth.” Even though snowy weather can be quite fun, making the move from Southern Utah to Northern Utah can be quite the adjustment. Here are some tips for moving in the snow and cold:
- Preparation – Moving to Northern Utah in the winter can make everything a little more challenging. Since Utah weather tends to be unpredictable, it’s essential to plan for adverse weather conditions. Supplies such as snow shovels and ice melt are great items to keep on hand.
- Driving – The most significant change to living in a snowy environment is traveling in the snow. Driving on snow-covered roads can be scary and dangerous. AAA offers the following tips for safe driving in the snow:
- Drive slowly –There is less traction on icy roads, so it’s imperative to slow down.
- Accelerate and brake slowly – Gradually push down on the gas or brake pedals as needed. If pressure is applied too quickly, it’s easy to lose control of your vehicle.
- Increase your following distance – Drivers should increase their following distance to 5-6 seconds while traveling in the snow. This will allow more time to adjust for accidents or stopping in general.
One advantage of moving to Northern Utah is that most homes have a basement, which can be quite rare in southern cities. Basements can be very useful, so here are some tips to best utilize them:
- Create an office or family room – Depending on the size of the basement, you can make it into an extra room. Whether you need an office or a bigger family room, basements can come in handy when you need more living space.
- Extra storage – Basements can also offer additional storage. If you have an extra freezer or many keepsakes, basements are a great place to store these items.
Hire Best of the West Movers
When making a move from Southern Utah to Northern Utah, Best of the West Movers is here to help! We’re committed to bringing all of your belongings safely into your new home so you can start creating new memories. We are proud to serve both Davis and Salt Lake County, Utah, including Layton, Farmington, Bountiful, West Jordan, Murray, and more! Contact us today to learn more and get a free estimate.